Monday, August 10, 2015

Reviewing IEPs

Do you feel like you could spend a whole year reviewing IEPs?

It seems like that's what I've been doing, gearing up for a new school year.  Although I only have 11 students to begin the year, it seems like a lot.  I typically identify several more in need of individualized instruction during their third grade year.  Last year, I typed up a grid for the general educators that would also be working with identified students.  This helped give a snapshot of what was in each student's IEP.  

Before I go on, I should mention that our school's inclusion model looks like this: one special educator per grade level, all students on IEPs divided evenly amongst the four general education classrooms, and me feeling torn in every direction.  Because of this, collaboration with the other service providers is so crucial.  Luckily, I happen to like everyone I work with!  



It helps to meet frequently with the other providers to ensure you are all on the same page in terms of each child's needs.  The grid that I use is up on my TpT site for FREE.  It can be printed out as is, or typed directly into, depending on what you prefer.  I based this grid on what I find most important in the IEP.  For example, I can get to know their skills through working with them pretty quickly, but might not always remember the specific meeting dates or testing accommodations they may have.  

Feel free to download this for FREE and share with the service providers you collaborate with at school.  

No comments:

Post a Comment